I’m working on my Outdoor Retailer/Utah post, I promise.
In the meantime, there’s a lot of things I’m totally obsessed with right now and most of them involve food:
- Steel Cut Oats and Quinoa breakfast cereal: I’ve been making a big batch of this at the beginning of the week and then reheating it when I get to the store. Add in some fresh fruit and a little bit of honey and it’s the best part of waking up other than coffee. Recipe via Bon Appetit.
- Curried Chicken Salad Sandwiches for lunch every day. I bought a chicken to roast last weekend at Whole Foods and used the leftovers to make us a ton of chicken salad for our lunches. Buying lunch meet is ridiculous and expensive. This stuff just gets tastier every day! I think you could probably use greek yogurt in place of the mayo. Recipe via Cooking Light.
- My crockpot. I am SO productive in the morning. At night? Not so much. Especially in the winter. In the last month I’ve used my crockpot at least once or twice a week, making stand out dinners like Shredded Pulled Sandwiches, Pork Ragu, and Beef Burgundy with Egg Noodles. The best part is how amazing your house smells when you come home from work or the mountain.
- Listening to NPR while I run on the treadmill. Something about Terry Gross’ voice during her in depth and often funny interviews, the stories on This American Life, and the hijinks of Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me totally draw me in and make me forget I’m on the treadmill. Otherwise I get super sadistic and end up running quarter mile or hill repeats almost every day. I’m sure I’m giving the gym quite a show because most of the time I’m on the treadmill, grinning ear to ear and laughing out loud.
- Dreaming of traveling. January, otherwise known as Junuary in Tahoe, totally brings me down: it never snows and it’s always warm and sunny during the day and freezing at night. I either want powder or I want to ride my bike. None of this in between crap. I start to get claustrophobic, especially since it’s one of the slowest months at my store. I get bored, restless, and start fantasizing about places to go.
- Dreaming of a new wardrobe. I haven’t bought a new skirt in years. I’m tired of the ones hanging in my closet. I feel a shopping spree coming on. Also, most of the skirts I have are flirty, summery and totally inappropriate for the Tahoe winter. First purchase in the closet update: this super cute chunky denim A-line from Boden. Also on the agenda: cute, fun, functional dress-up-or-down classic dresses, including a little black dress, and some tops that I can wear with all the amazing wide leg pants from Anthropologie that I have nothing to wear with.
Things I’m looking forward to:
- Julie and Jason coming to visit in February.
- Heading to Austin at the end of February to see James Zabiela play, who I haven’t seen since before I moved to California, and spend the evening with Lance, Toddy, Jamie and my old crew whom I get to see briefly and infrequently these days.
- Photographing SXSW in Austin in March.
- A weekend rendezvous with my rendezvous-best-mate in LA in April to take their engagement announcement photos.
- Mountain biking Moab in May with Torril, Marion, Bill and the rest of their crew.
- My birthday party. That’s right. It’s never too early to start planning your next birthday party. FIVE MONTHS til we Rock the Casbah!