My life has been crazy the last month and a half. It was a somewhat-disaster. I cried a lot. I left my really important pieces of paper that I need to get on a plane in Tahoe when I went on a work trip and my mother had to fix the situation. I moved and then the pipe in our old residency busted and now I anticipate a grand fight with the homeowner, who by the way, is the worst kind of desperate jerk-face. It’s made me think a lot about why people can’t just be nice to each other. It makes me happy that his house flooded because he so badly is so desperate to find any reason to keep every dollar of ours he can when I returned his house to him in better condition than he provided it to me. Then I feel guilt for thinking this. And then I tell myself to stop. I shot a lot of gorgeous weddings that I can’t wait to share. I ran a marathon that I can’t wait to tell you about. I went on vacation and I haven’t even looked at the photos yet, much less thought about editing them. Remember that time I photographed Dave Matthews Band? Yeah, I haven’t even had time to look at those photos yet and that was three months ago.
Anyways, that’s not what this post is about.
This post is about all the things that make my insanely busy life SO much better.
FYI, none of these companies give me free stuff or suggested this in any way. I am personally in love with all of them and it’s a fairly random list. If you are from one of these companies and want to give me free stuff, I would say, “oh hells yes” especially if you are Timbuk2 (pssst I could really use a new gym bag hint hint).
So, without further adieu, I present:
SHIT THAT I THINK IS AWESOME
1. Timbuk2 Snoop Camera Insert and Timbuk2 Snoop Camera Bag – It’s no secret that I’m Timbuk2 obsessed. On my List of Travel Essentials, Timbuk2 scored 3 of the 8 spots. However, I have since that list decided that I hate the Lowe Pro Slingshot, which originally wiggled it’s way into one of the spots. Since creating that list, my favorite company Timbuk2 has broken into the camera bag world and I couldn’t be happier. I found on a trip in 2012 that the Low Pro Slingshot was creating serious imbalances in my back muscles because I could only wear it on one shoulder. Since I already own three or four different sizes of Timbuk2 Messenger Bags, the Snoop Camera Insert is the perfect remedy: pop it into the bag and voila, you have a camera bag that doesn’t look like a camera bag. When I travel, I flatten the insert and a messenger bag into my luggage and then I have it when I arrive at my destination. Sometimes I have too much gear to fit it into a simple messenger bag. For travel and weddings, I rely on the Snoop Camera Bag. With side entry for easy gear organization and access, a padded internal laptop compartment, and padded Velcro panels for protection and separation, it’s just what I need when I have to haul it all.
2. My Timberland Shoreham Knee High Boots – I scored so huge when I ordered these. To tell you the truth, I’m not sure what prompted it me to place the order on Amazon that fateful day last year (maybe it was that I hated my old winter boots), but this was the best $49.99 I ever spent. You probably won’t find that sort of deal on Timberland Boots and I may never find it again, but they’ve won me over. From all to weddings to travel, I wear these boots everywhere and they are so insanely comfortable that I rarely even notice 12 hours straight on my feet. I will never order from another boot brand again. $200 or $50, these things are worth every penny.
3. The Black Rapid Women’s Camera Strap - this ergonomic women’s specific camera strap is lightweight and comfortable – key features when you’ve got 10 lbs hanging off your body for hours at a time. The sling allows for quick, graceful and smooth access to your camera and although I am often forced to use the Black Rapid Double Strap when I have two cameras hanging off of me, the Women’s version is significantly less cumbersome and far more pleasant to wear all day.
4. Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day – Years later, this book still reigns supreme as my most used cookbook. Bread: it never gets old and I can’t live without it.
5. My coffee maker. Wax and wane all you want about your artisan slow drip coffee out of ridiculously overpriced beakers but I can’t live without my Zojirushi Thermal Carafe. First of all, if my coffee isn’t ready and waiting for me when I get out of bed, I’m furious and secondly, if I can’t take my coffee and I do mean ALL my coffee, to bed with me then something is wrong here.
6. The Starbucks Double Walled Coffee Tumblers keep coffee so warm it’s a problem because I can drink coffee WAY later in the day than I should be because it NEVER GETS COLD. It’s like MAGIC. They put every other travel mug I’ve ever bought to shame so now I’m a believer. If only they would stop serving shit coffee.
7. My Amazon Prime Membership. SO AWESOME I DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW PEOPLE LIVE WITHOUT THIS. Oh, wait, yes I do: they live in places where they have Target. I don’t have that so instead I have Amazon Prime and thus, more time in my life.