LAUREN’S PICKS – DAY 1 – Sunday, December 29th, 2013
Welcome to Snowglobe! Festivals are my favorite way to discover new music, so be sure to catch a few of these lesser known acts on Day 1 of the festival.
- EXMAG: Sierra Tent, 3:45-4:45. EXMAG is a downtempo and groovy four piece electronic/live instrument hybrid that should get you properly warmed up for the day. They use Gramatik’s guitar player and are signed to his record label, Lowtemp. For fans of: Gramaktik, Pretty Lights, Big Gigantic.
- Holy Ghost!: Main Stage, 5:00-6:15. Signed to DFA, Holy Ghost is best described as deep dark disco meets pop. They make self-described songs “that you want to dance to at home.” For fans of: James Murphy, MGMT, Cut Copy.
- Syd Gris: Igloo Tent, 6:15-7:30. Gris is well known in the San Francisco edm scene for his blend of breaks and tech funk. He is a founding member of the Opulent Temple collective, best known for their premiere sound stage at Burning Man and a founding organizer of San Franciscso’s LoveFest & Love Parade. For fans of: Lee Coombs, Plump DJs.
- Star Slinger: Sierra Tent, 7:45-9:00. Darren Williams studied music technology at Leeds Metropolitan University before starting this one man project that caught critics eyes for his remix of Deerhunter. For fans of: J Dilla, Gramatik.
- Justin Martin: Igloo Tent, 9:00-10:45. Dirtybird Group member Justin Martin’s in-your-face bold spirited bass-lines grew out of the San Francisco underground sound and are sure to get the Igloo Tent raucous late into the night. Justin is now known equally as well as half of the hip-hop influenced hit producing duo “The Martin Brothers,” which he shares with his brother Christian. For fans of: Claude VonStroke, Steve Lawler, Loco Dice.
COMING UP in our coverage of Snowglobe:
- Lauren’s Picks for Day 2 and 3 of the fest
- Reviews and photos! See you there!